Thursday, 26 December 2013

Things I made for Christmas


I don't make a traditional Christmas cake.  Previous attempts haven't been that successful - no one at home likes it except me and I can't really eat a whole cake myself. So instead we have started our own tradition of making a house cake.  We started off with gingerbread houses (see below for the 2011 one) but again I found that most of the cake was thrown out when the sweets had been eaten off it.  (Small boy nephews and niece did a good Hansel and Gretel job).  I don't like wasting food so we invented our own version using Mary Berry chocolate cake baked in a tray, cut into layers and then built up using butter cream with After Eight mint roof tiles and mini roll chimney.  Doesn't look as good and it kind of collapsed not long after the photo was taken.  But Kate and I had fun making it.  And we've eaten most of it.



I also made my sisters' Christmas presents this year.  I've talked before here about writing a memoir and when Dad died I kind of got on with it.  I enjoyed writing about our childhood in the 1960s and 70s, looking at the old photos and remembering.   I used Blurb bookmaking software and was impressed with how easy it was and the results were good even though I used photos of old photos rather than scanning the images in. Yesterday of course they opened the presents.  Although all four of them cried when they read the dedication, I think they liked it.  The picture on the front shows me and my sister aged 3 and 2 outside our house in Ballyronan in 1962. 





6 comments:

  1. Fabulous picture.
    P.S. I love Blurb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure your sisters will treasure the book for years to come. I haven't used Blurb but have made photo books and calendars on Photobox. The cake looks good - I don't do much Christmas baking as I'd also end up eating it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cake nearly gone - making new year's trifle with the leftovers. Hope you enjoy the remaining celebrations.

      Delete
  3. Have a happy new year. I'm sorry you lost your Dad. Christmas can be a tricky time all in all! I would like to make a gingerbread house one day! I brought a swiss roll which I did intend to decorate as a log with robbins on but never got around to it!! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. And I never got roung to making the crochet Christmas tree. But we should be kind to ourselves - look what we have made this year. Can't match your output of beautiful things but I have produced lots of words.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete