Monday, 13 January 2014

My Blogging Year


I celebrated my blogging birthday on New Year's Eve.  Started a year ago with the vague intention of blogging about fashion like some of the blogs I'd been reading. That didn't last long.  I had other things to say and wasn't keen on too many pictures of myself anyway.  I've kept on blogging though, even if less regularly than I originally intended.

This is post number 80, so quite an achievement.  My other statistics aren't that impressive.  Ok, I've had 4416 pages views, but I suspect quite a number of those are me checking my own pages.  And the most viewed post is one about handbags, mentioning designer Michael Kors - 444 views last time I looked.  No comments on that post though - reckon those who did look at it were fairly unimpressed.   I have 10 followers, not a huge number compared to the hundreds many of you other bloggers have, but I really value those of you who do read and comment here. And reading the blogs I follow is a real treat: blogs about fashion, minimalism, motherhood, craft, cooking, gardening.  I also love the blogs which show beautiful photographs. I love reading about other women's lives and I've really enjoyed connecting with other people - people like me from Northern Ireland, but also those who have lives which are very different from mine.

Looking back over the posts for 2013, I am struck by how many are about loss.  In addition to Dad whose phone call I still wait for every Sunday evening, I've blogged about the loss of others who have influence our lives: Seamus Heaney,  Iain Banks and even Margaret Thatcher (who may not have been such a positive influence). It does feel like the end of an era.

Yet there was much happiness too in 2013 and I begin 2014 in a fairly hopeful and positive frame of mind. My blog is a sort of online journal, I suppose, a companion to the journals I've been keeping for years.  I got a new 2014 one from Paperchase for Christmas and a pen to go with it from my lovely girl. Blogging is, like journal writing, a habit now and one I'm going to continue, even if posting much more than once a week is unrealistic.  So please keep reading and commenting when you can.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure there are lots of reasons for blogging. Some people obviously want to promote a business but doing it because you want to is the best. I have to admit it was all those 'beautiful home' blogs which first caught my eye (and saved me a fortune on magazines) but I soon realised I didn't have a tidy enough or posh enough home to blog about. So, like your's, my blog is a bit about everything. This year, I want to focus more on my writing, which seems to have all style and creativity knocked out of it by years of reporting. Glad to have met you here and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a year of blogging. I've been doing it for several years now and I have decided the best person to write for is yourself. Of course it's lovely to get lots of comments but ultimately the best thing for me is to have a record both of the mundane and every day but also some of the significant things that have happened. I wrote about the death of both my parents on my blog and I am very glad that I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Do love reading yours. Love the names Soda Farl and Traybake especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And very lovely it's been to find and read you! I too was very sad when Iain Banks died - such a literary loss. Happy blogging birthday! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it shows when a blogger is in her comfort zone and is blogging about stuff she loves. So you keep blogging about what makes you happy, no matter what it is and you'll gradually grow your audience. A bit like Ganching says above - write for yourself. I do check in now and again from the phone - not as often as I should but I do enjoy it. Should comment more but I use the phone and my ineptitude with touch-screens and passwords as my excuses. Keep up the good work in 2014 xx

    ReplyDelete