Saturday, 25 July 2015

Five on Friday: Sisters

Sisters on the Strand in Portrush 
I am one of five sisters and last week we were all together for a few days in Northern Ireland, a rare event as Sister number 4 lives in New Zealand.  She returned for a visit this month and we all gathered for a reunion in our family home in Ballyronan.  With husbands and 8 of the 11 children we have between us, that made for quite a large party and it was a bit of a squeeze.  We hired a holiday home in Magherafelt, aptly named Ronan Cottage, so my husband, accompanied by our dog also called Ronan, could, at times, escape the smaller children and watch the Tour de France.

We had a lovely week.  The weather wasn't great but there were still plenty of walks to the lough, the playground and the little beach at Ballyronan marina.  Our children range in age from 6 to 23 and while the older ones were either working or travelling the world, the others enjoyed seeing each other.  I hardly saw my daughter all week as she stayed with the cousins in Ballyronan, entertaining the little ones and hanging out with 12 year old cousin Sarah from New Zealand.  There were also football games and Mario Cart battles with the big boy cousin, Callum.

We also saw some of the extended family and invited cousins to a barbecue one evening - the sun shone even though it was a touch chilly and it was good to see everyone again and welcome them to the house which was always full of visitors when Dad was alive.  And another relatively sunny but chilly day, we took a trip to the seaside and visited Portrush, where we used to go for holidays and Sunday School excursions.

When I get together with my sisters we tend to revert to our childhood family roles. This is not something I was aware of until my husband pointed it out.  This picture of three of us taken in Portrush in about 1966 kind of illustrates this. I'm the good girl, always keen to please: look at my smile and neatly folded arms, whereas Sister 2, is the cheeky one with her tongue out.  So it was no surprise then when last week she avoided the cooking and the washing up and chose instead to entertain her small nephews by playing Dragon Trail on the Ipad with them.



Sometimes people say we are similar and I suppose in some ways we are. I'm more aware of differences than similarities.  I'm the only teacher and the only Arts graduate, most of the others leant more towards Science or Maths. Two are opticians(or optometrists, the official term) but are very different personalities. The other two are very organised (unlike me) and have the kind of managerial jobs which require them to travel abroad at times. One sister has a very lively social life, I prefer a quieter life with some time on my own, just as I did as a teenager when I was the only one to have a bedroom to myself. Three of us read similar kinds of books, recommending writers to each other; one prefers fantasy- Game of Thrones type stuff, and one doesn't read very much at all.  I could go on....

When we are together, it is very loud.  Husband says we all talk at once and shout each other down. There was quite a lot of that last week - sitting around drinking wine after dinner and talking.  There was also a bit of bickering over the chores and other stuff - as there always was - I'm not painting a picture of a perfect family here.  But we don't fall out for long.  I love my sisters and count myself lucky to be part of a close family.

Linking again with Amy at Love Made my Home.


13 comments:

  1. What a super five on friday post. How lovely to meet up with your sisters where you all grew up together and for all your families to meet up and spend time together. Your photos are wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your sisters all sound like wonderful people!!! How great that you got together again all in one place, it must have been wonderful for you!!! I think that this is the best five that there has been this month!! Thank you so much as always for joining in. I hope that you are having a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely lovely post. Full of memories and memory making. Important in life

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to all get together again, it looks like a lot of fun! And quite noisy :-) I can't imagine having four sisters as I only have one brother xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all look so young! I am also one of five sisters (and two brothers) and I can relate to the noise and shouting over each other. We were last together a couple of years ago at a party and also have a photograph together to prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I'm the eldest, they are all younger than me by a couple of years and the youngest one is still in her 40s. I love hearing about your sisters too. Would like to see that photo but perhaps your sisters are not so keen on being plastered all over the internet. I'm probably in trouble for putting this on here but as it's all over Facebook already I don't reckon it matters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have struck SO many chords with me - I am the eldest of four sisters and it's loud when we are together. And yes, I have noticed the expectation that we will resume our childhood roles when we are together, and it's hard if you think you have left that behind. Thank you for sharing this with us. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post Doris, great photographs too. I am searching the faces for similarities,but you all look quite different. I can't imagine coming from such a large family, I only have one sister, and one brother who is much younger, so to be one of five is quite a thought. Interesting that you revert back to childhood roles, yes, my sister and I do that too when we are with my mum (sadly my dad is no longer with us) X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - what a lovely post. I wish I had some sisters. I am an only child. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to read about your family. I only have 1 sister and 1 brother. I'm very different from my sister in many ways but I'm sure there are similarities too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely to be one of five sisters! And what a super photo of you all together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a lovely post. I always secretly fancied being one of at least four siblings. I hope you'll get this photo framed, it is really nice. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely post and a precious photo of you all - both the one from this year and the 1966 one. Great that you had that special time together this summer x

    ReplyDelete